Author Topic: Furnarchy Support  (Read 678 times)

Damadar

• Overlord
  • Administrator
  • Hawthorne
  • Credits: 12
  • Iron Fist
    • Furnarchy!
Furnarchy Support
« on: January 26, 2016, 07:51:00 PM »
We have an announcement about the future of Furnarchy.

We acquired Furnarchy and announced that we would be maintaining it on April 1st, 2009. Since then, we've had a lot of fun maintaining the software and working with developers to make new modules. A few weeks ago, we put the source for Furnarchy and the Modules up on Github. We've enjoyed the work, but due to a number of different circumstances, we're releasing this little dove into the wild. No longer will myself, or Lothus, be working on Furnarchy. On April 1st, 2016, we will set most of the Furnarchy boards to read only. Support will discontinue on that date, or the date of release for the new client. Whichever comes first. This will not affect DreamNova.

Thanks to everyone who used Furnarchy over these years. Also, thank you to every developer that we had a chance to work with. We hope that someone out there will want to take up the Furnarchy mantle, but it could be that Furnarchy's time has come to an end. If that's the case, it had a great run.

So long, and thanks for all the fish!

If you have any questions about this, feel free to reach out to me in game.

Edit: Main site announcement.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2016, 08:09:30 AM by Damadar »

zSPON

• Naia Green
  • Credits: 15
Re: Furnarchy Support
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2016, 08:39:13 PM »
That's a shame. I might have to see about doing something or other myself. I'll go mad without my scripts and modules. Vanilla Furc is a frightening concept.
Hit me up on the forums or on furc as Ceriseth/Pizi with module/script requests, feature requests/bug reports for my releases, and what have you. I like making useful things for people just for the sake of making useful things for people.

Shaun Dreclin

• Lacks Focus
  • Credits: 2
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2016, 09:38:34 PM »
....April first? :p

If this is actually happening though, I hope we can get some sort of scripting/module support built right into furcadia. It's unplayable without my many many scripts </3

Damadar

• Overlord
  • Administrator
  • Hawthorne
  • Iron Fist
    • Furnarchy!
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2016, 09:48:14 PM »
Not a joke. We feel that April 1st is the best day to end support because it's the anniversary of when we took over the project.

Sorry.

I recommend suggesting script support to Furcadia via their forums.

Tape

• Naia Green
  • Credits: 24
  • Conjectural Technologies
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2016, 03:18:21 AM »
Not with a bang but a whimper.

Damadar

• Overlord
  • Administrator
  • Hawthorne
  • Iron Fist
    • Furnarchy!
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2016, 10:26:04 AM »
Not with a bang but a whimper.

An accurate description of Furcadia these days.

Tape

• Naia Green
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2016, 10:54:27 PM »
I wanted to post something to say goodbye with, but I don't have anything new that's either useful or that I want in everyone's hands, so here. Have an oldie but a goodie, updated to the current list of Gardens as of this post.

Hail Satan all you crazy faggors.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2016, 01:05:37 AM by Tape »

Damadar

• Overlord
  • Administrator
  • Hawthorne
  • Iron Fist
    • Furnarchy!
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2016, 10:09:34 AM »
Thank you for your service, Tape. We'd buy you a gold watch, but I'm ridiculously cheap. So this is the best you're gonna get from me.

Manivo

• Lacks Focus
  • Credits: 0
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2016, 12:44:57 PM »
Classy move not even thanking the guy who created it and left it in your incompetent hands.

Damadar

• Overlord
  • Administrator
  • Hawthorne
  • Iron Fist
    • Furnarchy!
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2016, 02:32:04 PM »

(But also thank you for the skins that you did back when you didn't hate yourself so much.)
« Last Edit: March 29, 2016, 02:44:56 PM by Damadar »

Manivo

• Lacks Focus
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2016, 12:19:47 AM »
Not me, you twit.

Damadar

• Overlord
  • Administrator
  • Hawthorne
  • Iron Fist
    • Furnarchy!
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2016, 12:01:44 PM »
What part of "skins" was unclear to you?

Tenka

• Lacks Focus
  • I <3 My Fetishes
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2016, 04:09:28 AM »
Oh.
I started using Furnarchy in 2006, I was giddy with the thrill of "cheating" in a social game, on the very rare instances when I found someone else in game using a Lita portait I had always made them my eternal friends whom I would quickly lose and never see again.  My favorite Furnarchy was 3, I have still stubbornly refused to use Pounce.  Hardcoding the launcher into the Furc executable was what taught me the word hardcoding.  I'd always wondered how Cluracan and the rest of his Futurama ports crew remained logged in between server restarts, they were always idle.
And the piratespeak script, I didn't turn it off for years.
I was really happy when Damadar and anyone else I don't know about picked it up again after Cluracan's auto-erotic asphyxiation or whatever it was, it was a return to good dead things, like Pokemon Origins was.  I can't play Furcadia anymore due to the bandwidth cap out in this satellite forest, but it's April 1st and I wanted to see what this year's special thing would be so I spent the data, and decided to check for a new Furnarchy version too.  Just got here today and saw this thread.
Oh.  Thanks for stuff though.

Damadar

• Overlord
  • Administrator
  • Hawthorne
  • Iron Fist
    • Furnarchy!
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2016, 08:08:40 AM »
We had a good run. I put an announcement up on the main site.

Thanks for everything, guys.

Tape

• Naia Green
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2016, 06:45:09 PM »
The word "Furnarchy" was one of my own coining, back in fall/winter of 2000. There was a community of clever, self-motivated nerds that were both programming for the game and flexing against its creators that I looked up to, both in-game and on the official forums. Fighting the man! At the time I was hanging out in Meovanni and thought it'd be funny to call Felorin's phone number and record his answering machine message. From that, the idea of fucking with the staff under the banner of Furnarchy was born.

This, of course, led to a couple of life bans on my part, both from Felorin himself - the first for repeated server crashing, the second for dodging that ban on another computer to post his old phone number to everyone in front of him in New Haven.

I was gone from from April 01 to January 02, during which I was in college for programming for the first time, and spent quite a lot of time rolling ideas around in my head to add to the game as features. I met Cluracan in Meovanni one day while getting in through telnet, manually moving and watching the resulting avatar string to determine whether I'd hit a stationary object, and mapping the coordinates on a map in mspaint. We got to talking and he asked what I was doing. I explained, and he said he had something for me to try - he'd never met somebody with a true machine ID ban before and wanted to test out DuckProxy. It plugged into the client just like Furnarchy, had a grey strip of buttons on the right of the walking area, and just so happened to dodge life bans. It worked like a charm, and from then on we became buttbuddies. I convinced him to make it a public proxy, he had the lightbulb moment of making it modular, taking the features you want and leaving others, and I suggested he name it Furnarchy. At the time I was Furc-dating this harlot named Rewsky that Cluracan buddied up with - her maid, Lita, is the Portrait Whore's namesake! French Toast was a suggestion of mine I'd thought of while I was banned to add a buddy list with whisper windows, similar to ICQ.

Furnarchy was our personal little plaything at the Canal in Meo, which we later migrated to the Wisdom Tree from. I originally used the "Tape" identity on the HP forums to keep my hijinks disconnected from my main alt, a Bugge dodging two life bans at the time. The fiasco with Chemical led her to finally narcing on me, and I got several stern talkings to about various misdeeds. The HeroinPuppy days were great! An active, growing community of third party developers putting out module after module, pushing the limits of what the proxy could do and giving us new fun shit to play with.

I don't think we'll be getting those days back again, but that's ok.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2016, 07:32:45 PM by Tape »